Thursday, August 5, 2010

Culture shock -- The color of a banana

Have you heard someone who called "Banana Person" or "Mango Person"? I have heard this from my friend several months ago.

"Banana Person" is to describe the one whose parents come from China, and gave birth to him or her in the United State. Afterward, the one was raised in the US, and has received many America culture. However, what he or she thinks and interests are totally different from the native Chinese, just being a local American. For intense, he like eating America food rather than Chinese food, he can say little Chinese, even he doesn't know Chinese history, and so on. In short, some American born Chinese just like a banana which has yellow peel outside and white pulp inside. On the other hand, other part of American born Chinese who likes and knows lots of Chinese culture called "Mango Person".

One day, my friend was eating a banana, which have black and yellow peel. I told the saying of "banana person" to her, and made a joke that maybe one of the banana person's parents comes from Africa and the other one comes from China, so the guy can called "black and yellow banana person". On the dinner time of that day, I felt this saying could be shared with my host family, so I told them, but, to my surprise, there wasn't even little kind of smile on their face and they said nothing for response. After a while, I asked them whether they understood what I had said? They told me that they understood. But they kindly gave me an explanation that they never talk about the color of people's skin, since it is a sensitive topic, especially when those people who have different skin color are talking togather.

I'm very sorry making that kind of "joke" which may hurt other people, but this experience teaches a lesson -- Look before you leap! The United States just like a melting pot, there are different people coming from different countries, there are variety cultures CRASH to each other. Therefore, just like driving a car on a freeway, the "driver" should be careful to avoid a car accident.

Faye

5 comments:

  1. Hi Faye,
    The sensitive from skin color is a famous issue here in USA from a very long time.
    But it's good for you taht your host family understand you on a right way.

    Shouq

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never hear about "Banana person" or "Mango person". I think these names are funny. However, when we talk this topic with foreign people, some people really misunderstand us. But I think you host family understand you. Thank you for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said in this post.I've never heard aboutthat before.I always believe that we are Chinese people,even some of us are born in the US, we can not froget our cultures and history.It's important for us.As a chinese person who has yellow face,chinese is our basic language.If we can't be able to say anything,that must be some kind of "tragedy"this is just my own opinion.
    YANG YU

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that we are in the 20th century do not change people attitude related with the color of the skin. It is supposed that we should not judge a person because the color of the skin, buy frankly, sometimes that even happens to me. But that does not make me not to enjoy a joke like yours. I did not know that “Banana” or “Mango” are using to refers to a person’s origin. Even, I have not heard these expressions yet.

    Maybe, these kind of expressions are used by young people and not for adult, and that is why your homestay family did not like it. But, just to let you know, there are still a lot of racial problems among teenagers. I know that because is what I hear from the teenagers in the neighborhood where I live at Moreno Valley. I just hope that one day things get better.

    Natalie Plaza.

    ReplyDelete