Friday, August 6, 2010

name influence

Do you know "kanji"??
"kanji" is a Chinese character used in Japanese writing.
And every "kanji" has a meaning.

We Japanese have "kanji" in his or her name.
For Example I have two "kanji" in my name,Hirotomo.
First is 広,which has meaning of "broad". 
Second is 大,which has meaning of "big".
My grandfather named me like this so that I can be a big
and tolerant person.

I think our name has a great influence on our personality and character
because we humans have a tendency of becoming the person we are told to be by friends and
relatives and because of brain activity like mirror neuron.
So I don't like a recent Japanese tendency of naming their child strange "kanji".


I want to know the meaning of your name.
Hiro


After writing this blog,I heared from my hostfamily mother that most American's name has no meanigs because they named their children after a relative or famous person.
So I am shocked......

6 comments:

  1. That's very interesting subject Hiro.
    Until I know all names have a meaning in Asia or in America and i also believe it can influence our personality.
    This days I was reading about the meaning of the countries and all of them have an explanation. Here I let the link if you are curious about them:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_name_etymologies

    Roberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hiro,

    Yes you are right.
    Most of Arabic names have meaning, and we always look to the meaning before we name our babies.
    For me, my name means kind of feelings: love, desire, tendancy to someone or something.
    That's why you can find it in many Arabic songs :)
    My grandma named me, because she was love this name so much.

    Shouq

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good conversation. Well, in my country the selection of the name happens in three ways.

    1. Parents create a new named based in what they like. For example, if the mother loves flowers and the father likes airplanes, they would invent something like... "Airflo"!

    2. Parents choose different names and mixed. Most of the time this names are from their own parents. As an example, "Alfonso" and "Marina" will be "Alfonsina".

    3. They choose the name by referring to something good or a good quality. For example, my name "Natalie" is a French name and it refers to the Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Hiro
    In Arabic every name has meaning
    For example my name " Nureddin " means : the light of the religion so the light of Islam
    Nureddin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most parent want to give a meaningful name for thier child. Actually, in chinese tradition, people who are in the same family and in the same generation will use one same word in thier names. Chinese people are used to have two words to form thier names. Therefore, you and your cousins will share one same word in both of your names. I shouls use a word which means "mirror" in english in my chinese name. However, it is not a east task for my parents so I finally don't use that word. But it is ok now because of modern time now.

    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your opinion that you don't like strange "kanji" of recent children. They focus on the sound and don't care about the meaning.
    This tendency is sad for me.
    from Minori

    ReplyDelete