Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ramadan

Hi my classmates,

A lot of my friends asked me about Ramadan, and what is it? So I decide to clarify everything about it here.

Ramadan is the holy month for Muslims. It is the Ninth month of the Hijri calendar (Lunar calendar). In addition, the lunar calendar is 11-12 days shorter than Gregorian calendar; therefore, Ramadan is 10-11 days earlier every year.




Ramadan is very significant month for all Muslims, because it is the 4th of the 5 pillars of Islam and the Qur’an (the holy book of Islam) was revealed in it.

In this month, we have to do special things, such as repentance, increased prayer, increased charity and fasting. The main thing which specialize this month from other months is fastin, which begins at the break of dawn and ends at sunset. The physical aspect of it is to refrain from food, drink and intimacy during fasting hours (Depending on location and season, it can vary from 12hrs to 17hrs), and the spiritual aspect is to refrain from blameworthy thoughts and acts e.g. foul language, vain talk, hurtful behavior, during all hours.

However, all Muslims should fast in this holy month, and sure there are some exceptions like: children, unhealthy adults (mentally or physically), adults travelling long distances, and women who are menstruating, in post-childbirth care, pregnant or breast-feeding.

The physical objectives or benefits that we gain from fasting are: the person experiences some of the hardships of the poor and hungry, physiological effects include lowering of blood sugar, cholesterol and systolic blood pressure. Also, improves strength, endurance and self-discipline through physical abstentions.

In Ramadan, we usually have two meals. The first meal we called it “Sahoor”, which is before the dawn, and the second meal we called it “Fatoor”, which is the breaking of the fast at Sunset.

In my country, Saudi Arabia, the usual lifestyle is change in this month. For that, the work hours are changed from 8 AM to 10 AM, and decreased. Moreover, people stay awake until the sunrise, so if you go out at 3 AM, you will find everything open, including shops, malls and restaurants, and a lot of people working.

As you may know, Makkah, which considers the capital of Muslims, is located in my country.
A lot of Muslims people from around the world visit it during this month to fast and pray there.






These pictures show the largest mosque in the world, “Almasjed Al-Haram” in Makkah in Ramadan. Do you know how many people are there?? I don’t mean how many people in Makkah, I mean how many people existing in the mosque?? There are 3 million people in this place at the same time, they are from various countries, they are talking different languages, some of them poor, and some of them rich, the only common thing between them, is Islam.
Usually, I spend the last ten days in Makkah, going to the mosque every day, even if I got tired, but I always have a wonderful feeling, I taste the real meaning of happiness there.

After the end of Ramadan, we have a big celebration called “Eid Al-Fitr”, and this celebration mark the end of Ramadan. The night before, all Muslims should give out “Zakat Al-Fitr”; it is a prescribed amount of money obligatory on every Muslim, calculated to feed one poor person in his region for one day. In “Eid Al-Fitr” morning, all people wear beautifully, and go to pray, then all family sit together to eat breakfast, then going out to visit family, friends, neighbors, sick and elderly people. Also, the older people like grandparents, parents, uncles and aunts give us gifts; usually they are money, intersting right? :D

This year, is my first time that I have to spend Ramadan far away from my family, I had a terrible feeling at first day of Ramadan, I couldn’t talk to anyone or eat, and I couldn’t come to school next day. I know I’ll treat this feeling again in “Eid Al-Fitr”, but I hope that we will have joy here, and we will be very grateful if you join us and see how Muslims celebrate in this day, it will be in Sep, 9th or 10th , depending on the moon.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask, and I hope that I clarified everything.

Shouq

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shouq, thank you so much for clarify everything about Ramadan. I know that this is an important moment in a Muslim religion, but i had many doubts about the reasons of it.
    So... have a happy Ramadan.. ok, it is finishing, but...

    Thank you!
    Roberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouq, thank you very much for sharing this article about Ramadan. I'm very surprized that "there are 3 million people in this place at the same time"!! As what you said, I hope you will " taste the real meaning of happiness" every day. I will miss you^^
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good topic. it is first Ramdan for me away of my country.



    By Moath

    ReplyDelete