Monday, August 23, 2010

"ichigo-ichie" wo taisetsuni!!

I explained "kanji" before,So now I'll introduce you "yojijukugo",a four-"kanji" compound word.

"Yojijukugo" is like a proverb.We usually use "yojijukugo" when we face a certain situation and have the feeling of what "yojijukugo" says.

One of the most favorite "yojijukugo" is "ichigo-ichie".
"ichigo" means one's lifetime and "ichie" means meeting only once;Therefore "ichigo-ichie" has the literal meaning of "a once-in-a-lifetime meeting" and the derivative meaning that "The chance of meeting people could be a special gift that might never occur in your later life,so you should treasure it with thanks a gift as one of your gifts of your life'.



Now, I'm in the situation that there will be many "ichigo-ichie".
I think most peole i meet in UCR life will "ichie",but that's the very reason why I treat the encounter with the people so important experience.


Hiro

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Hiro! Althought we don't know whether we will meet again, we do build up our friendship! Do you remember that we had lunch with Natalie and Minori in the first week?? Do you also remember that I used chinese language to speak to you because I forgot you are a Japanese? These are memorable for me! Aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the phrase 'ichigo-ichie' too.
    we are the same Japanese, but my hometown is far from yours, so let's enjoy the rest of days in UCR together! It was nice meeting with you!!
    from MINORI

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaaa, the pronunciation of "ichie" is very similar to a chinese phrase "yici"(一次), which has the meaning of one time. You are right there may be many "ichigo-ichie" here, we should treasure it~~~
    Faye

    ReplyDelete